Winter is the most dangerous time of year to drive for two reasons: icy or wet weather conditions and car malfunctions brought on by the cold temperatures. Even though the Bay Area doesn’t experience freezing temperatures or snow, that doesn’t mean your car isn’t affected by winter. The best way to avoid a breakdown is by taking care of your car from the start of winter weather with a complete Bay Area automotive service by a car mechanic near me.
Ensure Your Car is Ready for Winter
Change wiper blades
Changing your wiper blades is one of the most essential vehicle maintenance jobs you can do. There’s nothing more terrifying than being blinded by rain and mud as you frantically try to wipe it off with old, ineffective wiper blades. Replacement blades are inexpensive and easy to install. If you’ve never replaced wiper blades before here’s how:
- Remove the old blade by sliding it off of its base; careful not to bend or scratch your windshield in the process, which can lead to cracks.
- Take note of where each end of the wiper blade rests on the base so you can put it back in correctly
- Remove and replace with new blades. Make sure they are securely attached to the arm by sliding them against your window until you hear a click sound. Replace your windshield washer fluid while you’re at it!
Clean the fogginess from headlights
No matter how good your car’s headlights are, they can become foggy and inoperable after UV ray exposure over a long period of time. In the winter when the days are shorter, you want your headlights to operate for as long as the winter night lasts – and foggy headlights don’t work nearly as well as they could. The good news, however, is that cleaning foggy headlights is fairly easy. To clean the grime off of them:
- Mix equal parts water and vinegar into a spray bottle
- Spray onto both sides of your headlight lenses until each is covered with the mixture
- Let it soak for a few minutes
- Use a clean, dry cloth to wipe the headlight lenses until they’re clear again.
Check your battery and replace it if necessary
Winter has a tendency to put more strain on your battery, especially if you park your vehicle outside. Avoid the sinking feeling of hearing nothing when you start up your car by checking your battery and charging system right now. Bay Area automotive service shops will not normally charge a lot to load-test your battery, and some auto-parts stores will do it for free.
If you discover your battery is dying, you may change it at your leisure instead of being in a bind – because towing a dead car somewhere is NOT how you’d like to spend your holiday.
Call Local German Car Experts Now Professional Bay Area Automotive Services
If you’re in need of professional automotive maintenance or repair, you can rely on us. We are available for your car emergencies and the little details that keep your car running smoothly and efficiently. Contact Lafayette German Car Repair by calling (925) 2284 – 3390. We offer great deals, excellent service, and long-lasting results!